Saturday, May 31, 2014

100 years

Today was a special day.  We went to my Busha’s (great grandma)  100th birthday party.  She is my dad’s grandma.  Her actual birthday was Tuesday and today family from all over came to town to celebrate with her.  She thought she was going out to eat with her two sons and was completely surprised when she saw us all sitting in there.  Her face was priceless.  She looked surprised and you could tell she was holding back tears.  It was a very special party.

Her family has gotten pretty big.  She has two sons, eight grandchildren, eleven great grandchildren from her one son and somewhere around from the other.  I believe she has six great-great grandchildren all together.  Most of the family was able to make it.  There were only a couple people who could not come.   Family from all over New York, Kentucky and Florida came up to celebrate with her.  She was definitely not expecting it and it was obvious it meant a lot to her.

It is amazing to see how well she is doing at 100 years old.  She walked into the party on my grandpa’s arm and walked back out the same way.  She was a little slower walking out due to the party tiring her out.  The millions of pictures people put her through didn’t help with that. lol  She still lives at home and does mostly everything for herself.  My grandpa goes over to her house everyday and helps her with a few things.  He and my dad have dinner with her every night too although she cooks it most nights and always does the dishes after.  She gets mad if you try and do them for her.  When I went to visit her the other day she was telling me how she moved the recliner to clean under it!  That thing is heavy.  I always ask her how she is doing and most of the time she says she is feeling OK.  Some days she is in some pain, stiff and slow, but she says she is grateful for what she has.

That is the only way I would want to live that long.  I would want to be able to take care of myself, not be in too much pain, and have my loved one around me.  If I didn't have those then I wouldn't want to be alive.  I have been though not being able to take care of myself and not able to actually go out and live.  I never want to go through that again.  It just makes me so happy that she has had such a full life and is still holding strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment