Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wind Beneath My Wings

Yesterday was Wing Flight of Hope’s big fundraiser.  The title of the blog is the song they use on their website so I thought it would be fitting.  They have a large chicken barbecue every year.  It also included Chinese and Silent Auctions, raffles and more.  There were a few thousand people that showed up to show their support.

A bunch of my family came to this with me.  My Dad, my brother Bobby, my mom, step dad Darren, my grandma, my papa, my grandpa, my Aunt Belinda and her son, Jason’s mom and his Uncle Leo.  Courtney came as my date.  Jason had to go away for work.  We were both bummed that he was going to miss it, but he couldn't help it.  It was a last minute appointment for work.  Although he wasn't there, I was happy that a bunch of my family came to this with me.  It meant a lot. Wings Flight has done so much for me so I was happy to be able to bring my family with me to support them as well.

We all met up and had dinner together.  While we were all eating, a man came over to us and asked if he could do some tricks for us.  It was pretty awesome some of the things he was able to do.  For one of his tricks he placed a large coin in my hand.  He then had me wrap it up good in a scarf and hold onto it tightly.  He told me that he was going to replace this large coin with a penny.  I was interested on how he was going to do that.  I would feel him replacing a large coin with a small penny.  After he did a few waves of his hand, he told me to open my fist.  I looked inside and the large coin was an over-sized penny.  I was impressed.  I didn’t feel him move anything in my hand.  He did a bunch of other tricks too.  It was fun.

After dinner was the Wings Flight Presentation.  They had a few people talk about Wings Flight.  I was one of the people they asked to speak.  Joe wanted me to talk for about two minutes and say a few quick words about Wings Flight.  I was very nervous, but I agreed to speak for them.  They have done so much for me, this was the least I could do for them.  Here is a clip of my speech.  Here is the link to the whole video if you are interested.  This includes the other speakers.


As you can see I was a little nervous. Lol  I have never been good at speaking in front of people and I haven’t done it in years.  Not all the shaking was nerves though.  I was freezing.  I was wearing my mask there because even though we were outside, my transplant was only two months ago and my immune system is still pretty weak.  There were a lot of people there and I didn't want to take any chances.

After the speech Court and I went to the bathroom.  When I was washing my hands the warm water hurt.  She was mentioning how nice the warm felt and I could barely wash my hands in it.  The last couple days I have noticed that my hands and feet are extremely temperature sensitive.  Warm water feels very hot.  If my hands get really cold it hurts as they are warming back up.  It feels a lot like when my hands get really cold playing in the snow and then when I come back in the warm house and they are warming up.  This feeling happens with slight changes though.  The other day I felt the water to start my shower.  It felt nice and warm to my hand then when I got in the water was freezing to my body.  I am not sure what is causing this and I am going to mention it to my transplant team.

We almost stayed until everything started closing.  We would have stayed for the drawings, but we were cold.  There were so many drawings; we figured it would take a few hours.  We would get called if we won anything.  I didn't win anything, but my mom did win a fan in the Chinese auction.  I was hoping to win the trip to Disney World, but no such luck.

Back to Jason being away…  This was the first time I have been left alone in a long time.  At first it was weird to be at the house with just my kitty.  It was so quiet, but at the same time I loved it.  I love the fact that I can walk up the stairs and go to bed on my own.  I can make myself something to eat and get my own drinks.  I don’t need someone sitting here with me babysitting and taking care of me.  Hell yeah to more independence!

No comments:

Post a Comment