Monday, September 2, 2013

The Party's Just Begun

I had three parties this weekend three days in a row.  It was a lot of fun seeing everyone.  It was also such a welcome change that I could do it all!  Two months ago I could not do one party let alone three.  It is quite a difference being able to make plans to go somewhere instead of saying, “We will see how I feel that day.”  Being able to jump in a vehicle and go somewhere is awesome too.  I use to bring so much with me when I went anywhere.  I still have that feeling like I am forgetting something whenever I go out.  All I bring with me now is my pill case, hand sanitizer and a mask.

 Saturday I went with Courtney to her niece’s first birthday party.  I had not seen a lot of her family in a long time and I had never met her two youngest nieces.  We got there and everyone was so excited to see me.  They were all asking me about how I was and how I was feeling.  I had just seen her mom on July 5th after the winery festival.  She saw how sick I was and was amazed with the difference in how I looked just two months later.  This was my first party since the transplant.  It was out doors so I wasn’t too worried about catching anything.  I brought my mask just in case I needed it and I had my hand sanitizer.  I had to be careful with the food that was out.  Courtney’s sister Jeni had made individual bags of popcorn.  That was fine for me to eat.  Courtney opened a bag of chips and let me take out what I wanted first.  I also had a hot dog, but that was it.  I could not have the macaroni salad because it had fresh onions and celery in it.  I was also not able to have anything on the fruit plate.  That was hard for me.  I love fruit and with it being summer time, it is everywhere.  I have to remain strong.  I get back thick skinned fruits and veggies in October, medium skinned in January and then thin skinned in July.

Sunday Jay and I went to a Labor Day party at his Grandma and Pa’s.  The whole family was there. Jay marinated and cooked the chickens.  He did a lot of chickens.  He filled that entire 5 gallon bucket with chicken and marinade.  The bucket on top contained some of the utensils used to cook it all. Things like a paint brush to marinade the chickens and then something to turn them over on the grill. There was so much food there too.  Again I had to be very careful with what I ate and touched.  Of course there was a fruit plate there.  Haha

Today we went to my Mom’s house for a joint birthday party for my mom and brother.  They are only a day apart.  These birthdays were special birthdays for both of them.  My mom turned 50 and my brother turned 21.  It was a small family get-together so my mom was able to be selective with what was made.  She only made things that I could eat.  Things like dips that were cooked and dippers included crackers and tortilla chips.  Dinner was a roast and my brother made sure mine was cooked longer than everyone else’s.

After the party Jason ran up to visit his dad and I decided to venture out in the neighborhood.  I stopped at my dad’s, Bushia’s and my grandma’s house.  It was awesome!  I was going around town by myself.  As I was doing it I couldn’t get the smile off my face.  The weather was perfect and no one was worried about me getting too tired, having a problem with breathing or running out of oxygen.  I was able to go and enjoy myself by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment