Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Winning a Battle, Losing a War

The bugs have won and I am back in the hospital.  Well technically they lost because now a majority of them are going to die, not exactly smart these one celled organisms.  I got pretty sick last week and I have been on Levoquin, but it didn't kill enough of them.  I think I waited too long to call for it.  Levoquin really took care of a lot of the infection, but just not enough to make me feel better.  I will have to get it faster next time.  One day I would be fine and then the next I wouldn't be.  It was even hour to hour.  I would feel horrible, then feel fine, then feel horrible again.  I got tired of it and decided to just come in.  Why sit and suffer for a few weeks?  Yeah I am coming in more and more often, but I would rather sit in here for a week and have a couple good weeks, then sit and struggle for weeks on end to eventually end up here anyway.  Plus I might as well be here when I feel like this.  I can't do anything or go anywhere.

To further comment on my first statement:  I have done a lot of reading on P. aeruginosa.  This is the actual name of the Psuedomonas bacteria that inhabit the lungs of CF patients.  One thing that interested me is how they have adapted to survive in the lung.  The big thing that really affects the lungs is the production of a toxin called CFTR inhibitory factor (cif). This toxin is created and it induces the degradation of the CFTR.  Like I said in the medical history, CF is caused because there is a mutation in the CFTR gene causing none or little CFTR to be made in the first place.  Knowing this you can you can see the problem that cif causes the lung.  If someone is only able to make small amounts of CFTR in the first place and then they get P. aeruginosa, it makes the initial problem worse and makes it harder to get the bacteria out.  So in this case the bug is winning.  Stopping the production of CFTR makes the environment for the bacteria that much better.  Another thing I read is that when Psuedomonas are in a good environment they all cooperate with each other and "help" each other with survival.  When antibiotics are introduced and the environment turns hostile, those little suckers turn hostile on each other.  For every bug their own!  Like I said though, they multiply so quickly I have to come in so often.  If they would slow down they would live on a little longer.  Then again evolution has "taught" them, the most important thing is to pass on its DNA....

No comments:

Post a Comment