Saturday, May 19, 2012

How to Save a Life


This hospitalization has been pretty uneventful.  Wednesday was not a good day for me at all.  I had a nasty fever all day and it just wiped me out.  I lied around all day and slept.  I didn't even have the energy to go on Facebook.  I did feel a lot better on Thursday.  I was still on O2, but much perkier.  I spent that day catching up on some TV shows and getting a few tests.  I also did a few other things I wasn't able to do on Wednesday.  I went on the internet, talked to a few people to let them know what was going on, took a shower, and then before I knew it, it was time for Grey's Anatomy. lol  So now that everything is caught up there I figured I would blog a little about my hospital stays.  I have seen that in my last posts I never really talk about being in the hospital so I figure I will give a little insight...

To be honest, it is not that bad.  I have the internet and I have cable.  Now if they had DVR capabilities I would be super happy, but hey about 60 some stations and it is free....I really can't complain. lol  In the suites there is a flat screen TV with a DVD player, a small fridge, and a bathroom with a shower.  The suites are also a little bigger. There is room for the bed and an end table plus a couch, a recliner that pulls out into a bed, a kitchen table and two chairs, a small closet thing for clothes.   CF patients are in here for extended amounts of time so we get dibs on the suites.  They were added about five years ago and technically they were kind of built for us.  The food here is hit and miss.  The few things that are good are really good so I just stick to those.  For a better idea here is a video:

That is the room I am in.  Each suite is slightly different.  10 and 11 are very similar and 9, 12 and 14 are similar to each other but they are long and about double in size.  Even though the others are bigger, this one is my favorite.  I have been in all of them at least once and I just like the set up in here.  Outside my room you see the container thing...that is a precaution protocol cart.  With CF, I am very prone to catching lung infections so the nurses and doctors wear a gown when entering my room.  This is to help prevent cross contamination from other patients. When I go inside you can see my pump next to my stash of snacks.  Behind the bed is my computer and the large vest I showed in the medical history (I hate that thing).  Next to the vest is the mini fridge. You can see my table with my dinner still on it haha.  Today I had tilapia, oven roasted potatoes, spinach and lemon meringue pie for dessert.  I pretty much get the same thing for dinner everyday because there is a select few things I like on the menu.  The food isn't great here, but the few things that are good are really good so I just stick to those.  Behind the door is the closet like thing and a sink for the nurses to wash their hands and then obviously the bathroom.

Besides the accommodations in the room there is a thing here called Child Life and they come around and try and give the patients whatever they may need.  They have TV's with DVD players, Wii's, PlayStation 2 and 3, X Box 360.  I have gotten a GameCube before, but I don’t know if they still have it or not with all the new things that are out. lol  They also come around and give things like coloring books and rent out movies.  Volunteers will come in and play games or just talk with you to keep you company.  There is so much. They also organize things like the Sabres coming to visit, or the Buffalo Bills, or the UB sports teams.  I was here once when Tina the tiniest horse was here.  They also come around with donated toys, pillows, stuffed animals, etc.  I have gotten beanie babies, stuffed animals, pillows, a build a bear, signed pictures.  I have gotten quite a bit.  Like I said they do strive to make you comfortable.

The best part about this hospital is the nurses on V10.  I love them.  They are amazing and great and they make the stay that much better.  V10 takes care of multiple different kinds of patients, but all the CF patients are sent up here so they know a lot about CF.  There are some of us that come in regularly that the nurses know very well.  The nurses call us regulars and the hospital calls us frequent fliers.  Being a regular has its perks because the nurses know you that much better.  Sometimes I will get a floater nurse, but that is rare.  I normally get the nurses that are on this floor and like I said they are all great. Each of them are great in their own ways, but they all do what they can to make things more comfortable.  For example:  I know how I like things.  I know which way I want my needle pointing when it goes in the mediport.  I know which kind of dressing works best for me, how it should be placed and how it should be cut.  I just tell them how I want it and they do it.  I have been in enough that I know what needs to be done.  They come in and talk to me about whatever.  We talk about things going on in my life, and in their life.  I love talking to them and getting to know them too.  The nurses are just important as the doctors here.  They are the ones that take care of us.  The doctors tell them what to give, but they are the ones that keep us alive and our spirits up.  They go out of their way and do whatever they can to make us comfortable.  They do little extras too.  The last time I was in the nurses were doing a bake sale to raise money for the CF walk down in the lobby.  My nurse told me about it and asked what kind of treat I would like because he was going to go down and buy me some.  That is just one of many examples.  When I do get my transplant, I am going to miss seeing them.  That is the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment