Friday, March 21, 2014

My Way

The last few days have been pretty rough for our family.  My great grandma died on the 17th.  My mom called me really early that morning to tell me.  My mom was the first to know because she is at the home right now for rehab on her shoulder.  She tore her rotator cuff and until she heals a little more and can get around safely she is stuck in there.  The only silver lining to her being in there was spending time with great grandma.  

My grandma would go there and bring my great grandma into my mom’s room.  It got her out of bed and doing something.  Some days she would be alert and be able to talk to you while other days she was in her own world and not sure what was going on.  On the days she was alert she would ask us when she was going home.  It broke our hearts, but she couldn’t go home because she was unable to walk.  She was unable to do exercises in PT to walk.  She was so weak and tired they had to stop with her rehab.

We are all sad to see her go, but we were happy that she didn’t have to suffer in the home for very long.  She was ninety-five years old and lived in her house until the end of January.  No one was happy to see her go in there.  She was always so independent and we all hated seeing her like that.  She cooked and cleaned and did most things on her own.  When you tried to help her or tell her to slow down she would yell at you.  She did what she wanted no matter what you had to say about it.  She was set in her ways and there was no negotiating with her.  Who were we to tell her what to do?  She lived to be ninety-five so she was obviously doing something right!

Wednesday was the wake and Thursday was the funeral.  It was nice to see a lot of the family from out of town.  Many of them I had not seen in years.  It is sad how you see some family members at such somber occasions.  We all get caught up in our daily lives and always assume we have tomorrow.  That is something that I have learned from having CF.  Never take your days for granted because tomorrow is not promised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment