Friday, February 21, 2014

Under My Skin


The last two days have been getting to me, but this week overall hasn’t been a bad one.  Sunday Grandma, Papa and I went for a ride.  We did some shopping, went out to eat and went to go see the ice castle.  Every year (if it is cold enough) they take ice out of Lake Chautauqua and make an ice castle out of it.  They light it up at night and they hold a huge bonfire.  Quite a few years ago I went with some friends and did the whole bonfire thing.  This time I just wanted to see it.  We didn’t even get out of the car.  Not to lessen the coolness of the castle, no pun intended, but I didn’t need to freeze to see and enjoy it.  

I want to report that there really is not any more pain or itching along my scar.  I can lay on it, move all around, push it and feel almost nothing.  If I take my hand and push really hard, yeah it hurts a little, but I expect that to be the case for some time.  The numbness is getting better too.  I am getting more sensation back as time goes on.  I noticed most of it is back in the right breast while the left breast is still very numb.  Everything is still healing and again I have to give it time.

On the subject of my transplant….    Last week I saw an article about scientists growing lungs in a lab.  Last I read they weren’t able to do it all.  This is incredible news and really has me excited.  There is such a shortage of donor lungs available and this could help with shortening the waiting time when put on the list.  There are a lot of people that die while on the list.  This is not only an issue for lungs.  If they are able to do this for all organs just think of how great that would be for everyone.  I love science!

Also last Friday was Valentine's Day.  I told Jason to let me plan the night.  The previous Valentine's day he got me flowers when I was in the hospital.  Now that I am feeling great I wanted to do something for him.  We never made Valentine's Day a special romantic night.  We always kept it light and did something fun.  This year I made him a huge dinner and then sent him on a scavenger hunt. I made stuffed peppers for an appetizer.  I did a steak and scallop scampi with asparagus for the entree and made a raspberry cheesecake for dessert.  I completely forgot to take a picture of it before Jason cut into it.  Here is a picture of what it looked like.  We also had sparkling apple cider to drink.  I am not suppose to have alcohol so I thought this was a cute alternative for the occasion.

After dinner I sent him on the scavenger hunt.  I bought him a few things and then hid them around the house.  Things like M&M's with saying on them, hand warmers for snowmobiling.  With each present he found there was a clue for the next thing.  I hid ten things all together.  One thing for each Valentine's day we have been together.  It was a lot of fun.  I love the fact that I have energy and I am able to do this kind of stuff again.

Like I said, it was a good week.  Today though has not been a good one.  Nothing life of death, just some issues that are pissing me off.  I am feeling a little overwhelmed with everything that I want/need to get done.  Today I messed up and drove all the way to my neurologist appointment just to find out that they are closed today.  After I saw that I realized my appointment was yesterday.  I have never missed an appointment.  I am not the type of person to not show up.  I always call first.  Plus they have a no show fee which is really upsetting.  Hopefully they will let this slide because I have never done this before.  To top it all off I think I am coming down with another cold.  When will winter be over?  I am tired of the cold weather and the bugs.  I am going to go and watch some TV on the couch.  Cuddling under the blanket with my kitty might be just what I need.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment