Thursday, February 13, 2014

Gonna Fly Now

On Tuesday I had another appointment in NYC.  This one was special because we got to meet Erika there!  She came over and met us at the hospital after she was finished with work.  Grandma and I went and got PFT’s taken care of and then headed to my appointment.  It worked out perfect because Erika was there about five minutes later.  My grandma hasn't seen her since my transplant so she was really excited.

The appointment went great.  Coughing up that “chocolate pudding” definitely paid off because my FEV1 is 91!  That is a new high!  I knew I wasn't going to stop at the eighties.  Not only is it in the ninety’s, but it is a huge increase from my FEV1 in December which was 63.  I told my doctor about the sputum I coughed up and she said she hadn't heard anyone describe sputum quite like that and I probably ruined chocolate pudding for everyone there. Haha  I mentioned to her how after I coughed it up I felt clearer and was able to take a deeper breath.  She agrees that it was blocking some airways because these PFT’s are beautiful.  She said that she never gives out A+’s, (I am assuming because they always aim higher like I do) but this PFT is frame worthy.  It should at least go on the fridge.  I told her that I had already said to my grandma and Erika that it was going on the fridge!

During the appointment I gave her some paperwork from the CF center.  They mailed me the results of my last throat swab and cultures.  It said that I cultured for Pseudomonas and it was resistant to Levoquin.  Levoquin is what I was given when I had that fever back in January.  It seems to have done something as the PFT’s have substantially increased.  She said we are not going to do anything right now because I am not showing anything wrong clinically.  The bugs are either gone or they are there and not doing anything in my lungs.  I feel great so why do anything invasive just to see.  We will see if they are still there the next time I get a bronch.

After the appointment Gram and I got into the limo and Erika headed home.  This is the service I mentioned when I went for my bronch with Dad.  I gave them a call an hour beforehand and there they were right outside of the hospital.  It was so convenient.

This turned out to be one awesome visit.  I got great PFT’s, my doctor is overjoyed with how I am doing, we got to see Erika, and the ride to get back to the airport was easy and stress free.  I can’t ask for too much better than that.  Yeah the wait was a little long, but that gave us more time with Erika.  ;)

PT is going great!  On February 6th I went up to throwing a nine pound ball at the trampoline while in stance (feet side by side) and a five pound ball while in stride (one foot in front of the other).  On February 10th she added a new exercise where I have to walk sideways while she has a rubber band around my waist.  I already was walking frontwards and backwards.  This works more muscles because I have to fight the resistance of the band.  It reminds me of the Mario Party game on Nintendo when you have to hit the A button really fast to escape the goo.  Haha

I am also up to level eight on the total gym.  This is a machine where I lay on my back and use my feet to push my body up.  I do fifteen reps using both legs and then fifteen with only the left and then fifteen with only the right.  When I started on the machine (I think sometime in November) my left leg was on four and my right leg was on five.

My strength, stamina and balance have all gotten so much better.  I am able to do more exercises with less breaks.  I am using the walker more than the wheelchair when I go out and I don't use the walker in the house at all.  My balance is still not good when walking so I either have to use the furniture or my cane when in the house.  My standing balance is getting really good though.  I can see that with the exercises and day to day standing on my own.  Back in November when I went to Naples with Gram, I had a hard time keeping my balance in the x-ray machine at the airport.  You have to stand in the thing with your legs apart and your hands above your head.  I would be able to get into the position and then I would have to catch myself almost immediately.  They had to pat me down afterward because they were not able to get a good picture.  Well yesterday I stood in that position and I was able to stand there without falling over.  This made me smile.  More progress.

Also yesterday I did my first laser treatment with my Remington i-Light Pro.  A couple days ago I did a small test area to make sure I don’t react to it or anything.  You should I have seen me, I was such a baby at first.  I put the light to my leg and couldn't push the button to make it flash.  I was scared it was going to hurt.  I would go to push it and then chicken out.  When I finally did it I felt ridiculous because I didn't feel anything.  I did the test area on level four and I did my first treatment with that too.  There are five levels and obviously for the best results you want to use the highest level.  I figured I would be cautious on my first run.  I don’t notice any chances at all.  I read that I am not going to notice any change until at least the second one.  I will keep you all posted on it.  The only plus to this increased hair growth is my eyelashes look awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment