Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fallin' & Flyin'

These last couple weeks have been great.  I have a lot of energy, breathing decent enough to do things, and very little aches and pains.  The last time I came home I didn't get this boost in health at all so I am really happy to have it.  I don't know how long this is going to last...I am sure not long...but I will take whatever I can get.  I am trying to complete a few projects that I normally don't have the energy to do, and visit with friends and family.

I got the letter today from Wings Flight of Hope. I have been approved and when I get the call from NYC they gave me a list of numbers that I call.  We then all meet at the plane and head to a small airport in New Jersey where an ambulance will be waiting for me.  I did some research on commercial flights too as a back up to this.  The only flights that do direct flight to NYC and allow O2 on board last minute are Jet Blue and US Airways.  The FAA requires a note from the physician stating a few things:
  1. What parts of the flight it is needed.  Take off, flying, landing.
  2. If I can operate the portable oxygen concentrator on my own
  3. What the maximum airflow is.
Delta and United Airlines both fly to NYC direct too, but they require a two day advance notice. Something I obviously can't give them.  I have the required note and the phone numbers I need to call if this is needed.  I looked all of this up because I had not gotten the OK from Angel Flight and also they told me to get a back-up in case pilots are unavailable or there is weather that the smaller plane can't fly in.  There is nothing wrong with having more options than you need.  (:

On June 5th Jason and I went to Cleveland Ohio and stayed until the 8th.  He had to be there for work to attend two court hearings.  Since he was going to be gone so long and I was feeling good, I decided to go with him.  We really had a good time.  We relaxed and did things that were fun, the best kind of vacation.  We went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, walked the streets of downtown Cleveland taking pictures of painted guitars, and went to the Botanical Gardens.

Our favorite thing was the Botanical Gardens.  It was beautiful.  They had two indoor glass houses, one was desert and one was Rain Forest in Costa Rica, and multiple outside gardens.  We took a lot of pictures while we were in there.  I am so happy this trip was enjoyable because this might be the last one I take until after I am healed from the transplant.  From now on it is not a good idea to go anywhere unless it is close to NYC.  As much as I love traveling that is something I have to give up until I have my lungs.  Number one on the list is taking a cruise to swim with the dolphins in George Town, Cayman Islands.  My brother wants to come with us, but if he can't then we are stopping to visit him in Florida before we go.  I really hope he can go along with some other friends and family if they are interested because really...what is life without them?  They give me a reason to fight and offer support when I am weak.  I have a lot of plans for after the transplant, but until I have to continue to take care of myself, be strong, be patient, and continue fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment