Thursday, July 12, 2012

In the Midnight Hour

The last couple days have been rough.  It has been harder to catch my breath even when I am just sitting on the couch.  My coughing has gotten a lot worse and I have been very congested.  I have just been taking it easy and trying to make it until Monday.  I called Lisa (she coordinates everything at the lung center) on Tuesday and told her that it was time to be admitted.  I suggested Monday so she said she would have all the paperwork ready and I could just go in.  I wanted to wait because Jason's family reunion is Saturday and I wanted to be able to go.  I have not been able to go the last two years because it just happens to fall right when I have to go in.  So I thought I would try and make this one. Well as you can see by the way I am talking in the past tense...my lungs had another idea.  Last night I started coughing up blood and Jason took me to the ER.

After Jason and I ate dinner and watched a movie, he went upstairs to play on his computer and I started my vest.  I was having a hard time breathing so I decided to start the vest a little early.  I did that, my Deanase, and then my Tobi.  I completed the rest of my nightly routine and then headed upstairs to take a shower.  I have mentioned this before, but I take a bath/shower.  I sit in the bath and bring the shower head down.  This is easier for me because standing is too exhausting and dangerous with all the coughing I do.  So anyway I took my shower and seemed ok until the end.  I started coughing really hard so I hurried up and rinsed out my hair and got out.  I threw my robe on and had Jason carry me into the bedroom because I was coughing so hard I could not catch my breath.  I sat on the bed for a little while with my Albuterol in my hand, but I couldn't get a long enough break to be able to take it.  I started coughing stuff up and it didn't feel or taste right and when I looked it was blood.  I called Jason back in to tell him and he called the doctor.  It was about midnight and I hate calling the on call doctors, but he was really worried so I didn't say anything (not that I really could with all the coughing anyway).  He left a message with someone and she said the on call doctor would call us right back.  While we waited he was rubbing my back to try and get my coughing to settle down so I could take the Albuterol.  I was finally able to get it in and my coughing started to settle down.  On top of the coughing I was also getting chills from a fever.  I had taken two Motrins right before my shower, but they had not kicked in yet.  After a few minutes the on call doctor called back and luckily the doctor was mine.  Jason talked to her and she said she wanted me to come into the ER and be admitted.  She wanted some blood work and an X-ray to make sure the bleed wasn't too serious.  My coughing had settled down quite a bit and the bleeding stopped so I really didn't want to go into the ER.  We decided to relax and watch a small half hour TV show and then decide what to do.  After the show my breathing was still labored and I was still coughing so we decided to go in.  My doctor called the ER so they were ready for me and called the floor so the room would be all ready also.

When we got there we waited for a few minutes to get checked in because there was no one at the computer.  Good thing I wasn't dying.  When he came to the computer I told him my name and he said he was expecting us and had us go right into the back of the ER into a room.  They hooked me up to the oxygen there, accessed my port and started me on my antibiotics right away.  They also gave me nebulized Albuterol.  I felt a lot better after I finished it.  I told Jay right after that I was going to ask my doctor for some of that medicine for home.  When I am having a hard time breathing the nebulizer in the puffer doesn't work very well.  Having this as an option should definitely help.  After the nebulizer they came with an X-ray machine and took and X-ray of my chest.  My doctor just wanted to make sure that there were no serious problems in my lungs.  We were then told that after everything came back we would be able to go up to a room.

Jay and I ended up waiting in the ER for a little over three hours.  Not completely horrible for an ER, but still annoying. They knew we were coming and they knew I was going to be admitted.  My doctor called before hand and said no matter what the lab results were I was staying.  She just wanted the labs done right away.  Why did we have to wait for them?  And being late at night, three hours feels like forever.  When we finally got up to the room Jay went out to the car and got my stuff.  Once I was settled in he said goodbye and went home to go to bed.  I felt bad because he had to get up and still go to work the next day.  I told him he could leave once things were OK and I was just waiting for a room, but he refused.  I found a keeper!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment