Saturday, June 21, 2014

Bittersweet Symphony

The last few weeks have been bittersweet for me.  I mentioned before that Erika and Bobby went down to New Orleans to look for a place to live.  Well Jay and I just got back from a trip to New Orleans to help them move in.  I am so excited for them.  They both have been given amazing opportunities and are going to go far down there.  Erika is now a doctor and Bobby is on his way to becoming a chef.  I am however going to miss having them around so much. 

This last month I have been spending as much time as I can with Bobby and Erika before they had to leave.  It was crazy how fast that time went by.  Time flies when you are having fun and we definitely did.  These last couple of months will be memorable for sure.  A few of the things we did include Sabres games, celebrating birthdays, going Easter egg hunting at the winery, bonfires, shopping and just hanging out watching TV.  It doesn’t matter what we do, we always have fun when we are together.  Doing things with the ones you love is what life is all about.  It is those experiences that you will remember.  After getting so sick and not being able to do much I appreciate all these things that much more.

My brother and I are very close and always have been.  These last few months have brought us even closer.  Even though he is going to be far away I don’t expect that to change at all.  The same thing goes with Erika.  We have been best friends since I was four and she was two.  When she went away for med school we talked all the time whether it was on Skype or on the on phone.  No matter what she was doing she was always there for and only a phone call away.  As hard as this is I know that will be the case now.

The trip down to New Orleans with Bobby was so much fun.  Jason, Bobby and I all went down in a Uhaul.  It is a long drive and he wanted someone to split the drive with.  We fit all his stuff in the back and pulled his car on a trailer.  Believe it or not it was a pretty comfortable ride.  The biggest issue we had was the floor getting hot.  We had to place something underneath our feet to keep them comfortable.  The three of us had plenty of room in the Uhaul itself and it got us there in one piece so really we can’t complain about it too much.  

It was a nice drive, just the three of us.  Gave us a lot of time to look back at the last few months and talk about the future. Of course the two guys were picking on me the entire way down, but that is how the two of them get.  Pick on the lone girl. I couldn’t wait to get to Erika and even the playing field a little. Haha

When we got there Sunday we completely unpacked the Uhaul and put everything away in about two hours.  Monday we had to get Erika’s stuff which was already down there in a storage unit.  We were not as successful as getting her stuff in and put away as quickly as the night before.   Bobby wasn’t able to help due to the fact that he had orientation for work and there were more small things to put away.  It didn’t take us long to whip that place into shape though.  I am pretty good at organizing things like that.  That was one reason I really wanted to  go down there.  I cracked the whip and got that place into shape. Haha  It takes a lot of work to move and I wanted everything set for them before they had to start working.  After helping them set up we turned the rest of the week into a little vacation for us.  We did some sight seeing in New Orleans and did a little on Bourbon Street.  It sure is different down there...

They are now all set up.  I expect it is going to be a great adventure for the both of them.  Although they live over 1,200 miles away  plan on talking to both of them all the time and visiting them as much as I can.  Until we are all in the same area again… 

No comments:

Post a Comment