Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Candles on the Cake

Today is my 27th birthday.  I am still in the hospital, but to everyone's surprise not too upset about it.  It is not where you are, but the people you are with and today many people have made this day special for me....

Right when I woke up the nurses started coming in saying happy birthday one after the other.  The respiratory therapist came in for my vest treatment and wished me one as well.  He then said he wouldn't torture me with his singing voice and forgo the singing.  Shortly thereafter he showed up with two others and the three of them sang.  He said he didn't want to sing by himself so he had to find backup.  Lol  After my morning vest treatment I laid back down in bed to take a nap before Gram and Mom showed up.  When I woke up I found out that the nurses had put a birthday banner across the top of my door while I was sleeping.  Not too much longer after that the head of child life came in and gave me a gift card to target.

Mom and grandma showed up around lunch time and they brought cake, taco dip and decorations, including a balloon.  After everything was set up a bunch of the nurses came in and they all sang happy birthday.  The respiratory therapist was there again so he got to do it twice.  I then was able to blow the candles and make my obvious wish.  This was all done carefully of course considering I was on oxygen.  haha  We sat around and had the taco dip and cake while I opened my cards from family.  Later my friend Erica came by with stuff for me.  She brought a balloon, gourmet cupcake and one of her handmade necklaces.  She makes jewelry and is very good at it.  This one was a silver chain with two flat charms which she had a quote stamped into.  On the first charm is said, "Though she be but little she is" and the second said, "fierce".  I love it.  It is a quote from Shakespeare and awhile back a different friend had posted that on my wall saying it fit me perfectly.  I forgot to ask Erica if she saw that post or if it just turned out to be a coincidence.  I will have to ask her.   She also accented it with a blue gem.  I knew she was doing something because she asked me what my favorite color was.  :)

Later that night Jay and Courtney came over with some P.F. Changs.  Jason got me the shrimp with candied walnuts because it is 1800 calories.  I could not believe that!  It turned out to be a great choice taste wise too.  They also brought me a Mountain Dew code red (my favorite pop) and an Arnold Palmer.  If you haven't heard of those, it is a drink that is half ice tea and half lemonade.  The golfer Arnold Palmer liked them and now Arizona makes them.  Courtney made me one a few weeks back and I loved it.  They both gave me a card too and stayed for a little bit to keep me company.  My present from Jay is coming later.  He is buying me the new Galaxy S4 when it comes out.

So as you can see, my day was pretty good.  I wasn't sick and miserable like I would have been had I stayed out of the hospital.  I am still tired, but coughing much less and feeling much more comfortable.  Plus, I saw more people being in the hospital than I would have had I not been in there.  It wasn't like going into the hospital was going to prevent a huge party or anything.  Today is a Wednesday.  Not much you can plan.  This weekend my dad is going to take me out to a restaurant of my choice.  Not sure where I want to go yet, but I have a few places in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment