Friday, April 12, 2013

Thank You for Being a Friend

I am back in the hospital for an exacerbation.  I made it a little longer than last time and this month was a good month.  My coughing has gotten rougher.  I have a lot of unexpected coughing fits that bring me to the verge of passing out, but I am learning to get through those.  I can't complain about this because I had some energy to go out and do things with people the last few weeks.  I did not have this luxury the previous month and it was horrible.  My friends and family have been coming over and taking me out a lot, even if it's for a little while.  It isn't always easy or go smoothly, but I am grateful they all put up with it for me.  And when I am too tired and can't go out they just come over and we have a good time here.

This month has been great when it comes to seeing friends and getting out.  In my last blog I mentioned how Kelly was able to stay a whole week with me and I loved every minute.  I also mentioned that the weekend after she left my dad took me, Jay and my brother to Joe's Crab Shack.  Well that was just the beginning.  That was just one of the many times I went out to eat with one person or another.  My grandma takes me out for lunch every Tuesday and then we either do grocery shopping or the spoil ourselves kind.  haha  Last month there were a few Tuesdays she just did my shopping for me because I was too tired to go out with her.  This month I was able to go with her every time.  :)

Our friend Jamie, who moved out of state to Virginia, came to visit.  That weekend we all went out to eat at P.F. Changs and see the movie Olympus Falls.  It is a very good movie by the way.  Then on the following Wednesday my friend Erika came in and surprised me from NYC!  I was so excited to see her.   I then found out she was staying with me until Saturday.  So Thursday night Jay, me, Erika and Courtney went out to eat dinner.  The plan was to go and have a few drinks after, but I was exhausted and couldn't do it.  I told them they could go and have a few without me, but they didn't want to do that.   Instead we all went home and partied there. I will have to admit I was tired getting tired from previous outings.  I went out with Jamie and Andy that weekend and then went shopping with gram on Tuesday.  I didn’t let it get to me and I pushed through.  I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but going out takes a lot out of me.  When I go out I need the next day to just relax and recoup.  Sometimes in need two days.  Obviously it depends on what we did, how long we did it and how I am feeling to begin with.

I was also able to do an Easter egg hunt the day before Easter.  There was an Easter egg hunt at a winery that Jason really wanted to go to.  It was him, Erika and me.  We had a good time.  I used my wheelchair and zoomed around the orchard.   One of the eggs I found was on the ground hiding under some grass.  I just so happened to be staring at the ground at that moment.  That made two eggs for me.  LOL  Jason and Erika got over twenty each.

This has been a busy month.  I enjoyed it so much because I got to see a lot of people and a lot of them.  I appreciate every little thing I am able to do because none of it is easy on the people I am doing it with.
  1. We have to bring my wheelchair because I am not able to walk more than a few steps before I am winded.
  2. We have to fill my Oxygen tank with liquid oxygen and if we are going anywhere for more than three hours we have to bring the electric concentrator too.  That thing is a pain because it is fifteen pounds, but we have to have it.
  3. It is hard when I do start coughing really bad out in public.  Especially those attacks where I feel like I am about to pass out.
Like I said, far from easy, but they do it anyway.  I wouldn't be able to go anywhere without their help.  Family and friends… that is what makes life worth living.  I can't wait for those lungs and to be able to go out with them more.  I will be able to move around without oxygen, be able to sing, laugh and do countless other things with them.  For the meantime however they are adapting to my situation and doing what I am able to do.   I don't think they truly know how much that means to me.  A lot of people can't handle being around someone with CF because it is tough, it is not pretty and as you can see from the little window I am giving you into my world, it is restricting.  I do not have a lot of friends, but the ones I do have are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment