Saturday, August 10, 2013

Up

My spirometry is up to 1500!  I get stronger everyday and those numbers are getting higher.  The stairs are still hard work, but every day it is getting a little easier.  There are a few things that are giving me a little trouble, but I am working through them.  Rome wasn’t built in one day.  I look at where I was just a little over a month ago and there are no complaints here.  Those oxygen tanks are just some of the things I got to unload recently.  Having those things gone is an amazing feeling all in itself.

Wednesday the 8th I called the radio station to give them an update on me.  It was so nice to be able to tell him that I had the transplant and everything was going great.  I wanted him and everyone who listened to the previous interviews to know the wishes really do come true.  I also wanted to thank everyone that helped with the benefit.  Doing the radio interviews help spread the word about the benefit and made it that more successful.   Jay and I went over some finances from last month.  We found that it between him, my dad, my mom and brother; it cost around $8,000 for the month.  Doing the benefit is something that definitely made the transplant process much easier.  Without those funds my family would not have been able to be there for me as much as they were.

Since I have been home I have been having an issue with going to the bathroom a lot.  My digestive tract is all messed up. Between all the eating and the meds I am not sure exactly what is causing it and what I have to do to fix it.  Right now it is all trial and error.  I stopped taking my enzymes two days ago to see if that is causing it.  I was told at the hospital that absorption seems to get better after a transplant and if you are taking too many enzymes that can cause stomach issues. Enzymes and I have not been friends for years.  I would always get stomach cramps from taking them so right now I am going to see if stopping them helps at all.

Sleeping in my bed is still a bit of a challenge.  I am still sleeping on my back most of the night.  I can sleep on my side a little bit while holding a pillow, but I wake up pretty sore and have to move.  It is hard to get into laying position and back into sitting.  Transitioning from one to the other is a careful slow process.  The incision is still sore with certain movements and when I try to use those muscles.  When I get up I slowly put my feet over the side and slowly bring my upper body up.  I also am still using my commode when in bed.  Getting up and walking to the bathroom is still too much work for me.  I need the walker to keep my balance.  My left leg is pretty weak and is not able to support me when walking.  It is getting stronger, but balance is still definitely an issue.

So as of right now I have a few GI issues, some pain and weakness, but I am making progress.  Every day I am able to do a little more.  Seeing that is so exciting.  When I accomplish one thing, it makes me even more excited to see what I can do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment