Saturday, June 1, 2013

Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response

I failed at being able to tolerate the NG tube.  It was my first try though and I am not going to give up on it completely.  I am going to try again tonight to see if I can get it down all the way and tolerate it.  This is a snapshot of one of the attempts.  Here is what happened.

My nurse went over how we were going to do this.  She put it up against me to measure how far it would need to go down.  She measured from my nose to my sternum and then made a mark on the tube with a piece of tape.  She then put some lubrication on the end of the tube and put it in my nose.  I began to start drinking as she began to push it through.  I felt it in the back of my throat and I felt it get stuck there for a second and then it went down.  All the while I was gagging as I was drinking.  I have a really bad gag reflex so I was expecting this.  However it just kept getting worse and I just wanted it to be pulled out.  She said I did a good job.  It is a normal reflex the body creates to prevent choking and dying.  I think I gave up to easily though.  She said had less than two inches to go and believes it was in my stomach.  When she pulled it out there was some stomach acid in it.  I think the gagging may have subsided after the tube stopped moving and was just sitting there.  I was going to try again last night, but yesterday was a bad breathing day.  I didn't want a tube down my throat when I was having a hard time catching my breath.  I am hoping for my body to relax and allow me to do this tonight.  I will update and let you all know how it goes.


*****UPDATE*****

I wasn't able to do it.  I forgot to use the chloraseptic (duh...) and once I started gagging it was over.  The gagging starting a coughing fit which resulted in me throwing up a little.  Once I did that the tube came into my mouth so I told her to take it out.  We did try one more time, this time with the chloraseptic.  I didn't gag as bad, but my stomach was pissed so I immediately threw up and we stopped.  My nurse said we could try again tomorrow, but honestly I don't know.  I really want to give this a try, but I am not sure if I am going to do it again or not.  It is not necessary and it is turning out to be more difficult than I thought.  We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment